Saturday, December 6, 2014

Kuch Dil Ne Kaha ...

This is one of those melodies which I discovered recently. In my younger days I had never heard songs from movie 'Anupama', may be just 'Dheere dheere machal E dile bekarar'. I knew this movie from it's mention by 'Guddi' .  When I first heard this song it stuck there and after nearly six months, it is still in my mind.

Hrishida, before he started making comedies filmed some dramas, Anupama is one of those dramas which has his favorite Dharmendra and Sharmila with Deven Verma and David. Hemantda always astounds me with his haunting melodies. This song is a perfect example of those haunting melodies. It doesn't have too complex structure, music doesn't overpower magic Lata creates, it stays in the shadow, highlighting her touching voice. Even Lata underplays her voice while singing "ai si batten hoti hai". Sharmila is strolling in hills of Mahabaleshwar, there is no hurry, she knows Dharam is watching but she continues to stroll. Lata creates a humming melody for this situation perfectly.

Jaywant Pathare was Hrishida's favorite cinematographer. He received Filmfare award for Anupama. His brilliance in camera angle and lighting is evident in this song. He has used softer lenses to glorify close ups of Dharam and Sharmila. No wonder they were one of the screen god and goddess of their time. Still the lens did not lose any beauty of Mahabaleshwar hills. Pathare understands he needs to show Mahabaleshwar while focusing on actors. In some long shots we can see picturesque valley behind Sharmila, it feels like we are standing next to Dharam and looking at Sharmila with beautiful background. If anybody is learning glorification with subtlety, they need to study this song deeply. I don't know how many more days this song is going to haunt me but hear it and watch it and tell me if it is haunting you too!

          

1 comment: